Monday, June 7, 2010

Campo Week Six: I'm Fine

Dear Family,

oh hey! Sorry for all the stuff you´ve probably been hearing on the news, you probably know more than I do about the volvano. But right now the city is pretty calm and there is still a lot of ash in the streets. its a good thing I have my jelly shoes cuz we get rocks in our shoes everywhere we go, but we wear our jelly´s in the rain ;) They´ve been saying something about there being another eruption, but there hasnt been one yet. Thank you for all your prayers and concern. We did find out this week that the rain storm i told you about last week....yeah that was a hurricane. we were shoveling water at Lubia and Ciriaco´s house during the middle of the hurricane. great times, I love my life. The only repercussions we have felt from the volcano so far is that some of our investigators havent been home as much depending on their work. The night we set a baptismal date with Noelia, she said she would pray about it and we would return the next day. Well, since that day we havent been able to teach her because she goes to work at like 7 in the morning and gets back at like 10 at night cuz she works somewhere in the capital that is dealing with all the volcano stuff. But we are still praying for her and visiting her family and we have other new investigators from when we did service last week, so the Lord is mindful of us. But we had two other awesome experiences, both with 2 little boys. One, Manuel, the grandson of Hermana Rosita, who is the coolest recent convert ever. Manuel is ten and we taught him 3 Ne 17 when Christ visits and blesses the little children and after he read that he goes, I want to be baptized! It was so cute and so cool. We are teaching his mom Gloria right now too, and his sister and Rosita just keeps bringing over more and more grandkids, her other daughter, random friends she meets because she wants them all to be a part of the gospel with her! she is so pilas and so we´re hoping to have gloria, manuel and helen be baptized soon, all together. Presidente Baldwin is really having us focus on finding families to teach. This is a great family whose dad unfortunately was involved in a gang accident and passed away about a year ago. but they are so great. oh and the other story is that this other 11 year old boy who is a friend of some of the other members in our ward, came to church yesterday and announced he wants to be baptized. its amazing how great this ward is and how heavenly father communicates with his children, especially the younger ones. other news is that we find out this wednesday if we stay here or go to the Quetzaltenango mission or the new mission they are starting this July. our mission is supplying 54 missionaries.
This week we had an awesome zone conference. I got to see Hermana Williams which I was so stoked about, we have so much fun together and she has been having a hard time with her comp and so it was so ooooo good to see her and be able to talk to her! haha and get this. So at zone conference there are always a few short talks given by the missionaries and all the newbies and the missionaries leaving this change bear their testimonies. Guess who got to do both......me! I was shocked when the zone leader read my name and only one other elder´s name to give talks. And then like an hour later I had to bear my testimony. It was fine though, my talk only had to be three minutes and i´m comfortable now bearing my testimony in spanish, but it was just funny. Hermana Brown, my comp was just smiling at me the whole time from the audience which gave me a lot of strength and afterwards she said, hermana I understood everything you said, you did it perfectly! I dont tell you that to boast, i was just happy people can actually understand me, especially when most of the other faces in the audience were telling me otherwise ;) It was a good experience for me though. We learned a ton about our purpose as missionaries at the conference and really focused on how we can better invite others unto Christ. The mission is so amazing, its so different than I expected, but so much better too. Thanks for all of your support and love!!! I can feel it everyday and I am praying for you all as well. If you have the chance, read Jacob chapters 1-4. There is so much good stuff in there! Sorry I dont have time to explain more, but I really love what Jacob is teaching to his people. I love being able to study the scriptures and gospel everyday for hours! I love it here in Guatemala. The spanish is coming along, hermana brown and i are doing great and i killed a cockroach the size of my thumb that was headed for my bed. haha. Adios! love you all! until next week, hermana wetzel

No comments:

Post a Comment